Monday, March 8, 2010

St Pat's Parade

I was planning on doing another jacket post.  But the combination of my camera and the lights in my office just really threw that out the window this time.  Once I get it sorted out I'll get back to the inventory.

For now - we tend to have our St. Patrick's Day parade early around here so we can get some of the better pipe bands in from the surrounding area.  So here's a pic blog of the day with some short explanations.

 
The crowd was pretty big this year. Thousands according to the local print media. 



 
  
Saw this guy right away.  Had no idea who he was at first - other than some college kid in green suit and by all appearances is naked under there.  Turns out to be "The Green Man" from a show called "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" . Maybe someone out there can shed some light - I've never heard of it.  He wasn't in the parade - just standing there with friends.





Local Celtic Kazoo band. Over 130 members playing Kazoo in parades during the "holy" season of St. Patrick's Day.






Look real close at the hooves - green and sparkly. 



One of several Irish Dancing groups.



 
Small group of Mummers.

There were many, many more groups, bands, trucks floats...this shindig started at 1:30pm.  We left at 3:30pm and it wasn't quite over yet.  You always know the end because it's fire truck after fire truck after fire truck...

I love the pipe bands.  I don't know why - there is something about the slightly haunting sound that draws me to them.

More later - 

DAG

2 comments:

Toad said...

I'm near certain St. Pats day isn't for another 9 days or so. No wonder our kids are so screwed up.

Main Line Sportsman said...

I love that your parade had Phila Police band and Mummers..being as I am from Philadelphia area and a huge Mummers fan. I like your posts...keep up the good work...and stop by mine for a read.